My first explorations of the city of Bath

Posted in: First year, Undergraduate, Why Bath?

As a non-athletic person, exploring a city is my favourite physical activity. I have made a habit of discovering places on foot whenever I’m in a new area. Immediately upon arrival on campus in September, the first thing I did the next morning was to walk to the nearest Tesco Express for breakfast.

One Saturday morning, I packed some cash and my phone and proceeded to head to the supermarket. As a person who grew up in a dense city, the walk down to the supermarket felt like a hike along a woodland trail. Layers of trees obscured the houses along the sloped road, presumably for privacy. I made note of locations I would like to visit in the future along Bathwick Hill Road, such as the Bathwick Fields.

Though a long trek, the journey was straightforward. I arrived at Tesco, paid for some loaves, and continued my way back to campus, making note of the canal right by the store. Again, I am not sporty, so the walk back up to campus took quite a while, and the entire trip was almost two hours.

A photo taken of the Kennet and Avon canal. Georgian buildings overlook the narrowboats lining the banks full of lush vegetation on a bright sunny day.

A few days after this, I decided to explore the Kennet and Avon Canal and again went down Bathwick Hill Road. This time, I found the area of exploration fairly pleasant. Walking along the historic canal lined with Georgian houses, I envied the gardens looking out on the water. Narrowboats dotted the sides of the canal, some covered in cobwebs. There were some people fussing over the docking of one.

As I went further along, there were bridges crossing the water, which were great for pictures.

It’s easy to get lost in the picturesque scenery of the canal, and before I knew it, I had arrived at Widcombe, walking along Claverton Street. When I realized this, I looked up the location of Sally Lunn's Historic Eating House and proceeded to the city centre along the River Avon. Here, terraced houses and graffiti on columns became more frequent. They did not take away from the landscape but even added some personality to it.

Apart from the boats lining the banks, there were some people paddle boarding and kayaking on the river. Despite living by the ocean my entire life up till now, I had never seen water entertainment sports by my front door. This is likely because of the high amount of sea traffic, so discovering this was somewhat entertaining for me.
A photo taken of the Avon river, where a church tower is visible on the opposite bank, and boats are docked along the right bank. There are trees lining both banks, and part of the walkway is visible on the right.
Though Google Maps led me to walk along North Parade Road after walking along the river, I could not figure out how to access the road. I continued until I reached Pulteney Bridge, which added a bit of mileage to my journey.
A photo taken of the Avon River. There is a house on the right bank, and trees are visible on both sides of the river. The bright sky reflects on the water surface.
After walking for so long, I arrived at the museum. I did not enter, as I did not wish to visit alone. After wandering around the city centre, I started to head back. During which I took breaks on the benches at some of the bus stops.

Despite the lengthy route, this was a pleasant experience. I would recommend this to people who don’t mind walking long distances. Though it might be easier to take a bus down to Sydney Buildings, then proceed to walk from there. This would definitely not be the best route for getting to the city centre, but more of a scenic walk for leisure.