Weekly update from the Vice-Chancellor - 07/03/2022

Posted in: Weekly Update

Dear colleague,
My thoughts over the past fortnight have been with all those affected by the attack on Ukraine. Last week, I joined staff and students for a vigil on the Parade to show solidarity for those currently suffering as a consequence of this invasion and was once again reminded of the diverse, global and supportive community we have here at the University. The war and unfolding humanitarian crisis have caused deep distress in many ways, and I was proud to see how quickly and extensively colleagues in ahs and student services have offered support to those who are suffering.

Advice for students and staff affected by the invasion of Ukraine, including details of financial and wellbeing support, can be found here.

I’ve always been struck by the inclusive and supportive nature of our community, it is a place where we recognise the value of each individual and treat everyone with dignity and respect. I am confident that we will continue to support and assist each other through this difficult time.

International Women's Day
International Women’s Day takes place on 8 March and I am pleased to see numerous events happening across campus to mark the occasion. The theme of this year’s event is ‘breaking the bias’ and I am particularly looking forward to listening to the panel in the SU event on Tuesday evening, including Lynne Fernquest who is CEO of Bath Rugby Foundation and Professors Rajani Naidoo (Vice-President, Community & Inclusion) and Cassie Wilson (Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Student Experience) from the University.

Work and Wellbeing Survey
Last week, the University marked University Mental Health Day and I was grateful to Professor Cassie Wilson, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Student Experience) and Richard Brooks, Director of Human Resources, for sharing an update on the University’s submission to the Student Minds University Mental Health Charter. Much work has been done in planning for the submission and I want to thank those involved for their efforts to understand what changes we can make to benefit our staff and student community.

In this spirit, I would like to encourage colleagues to take part in the latest Work and Wellbeing Survey. The survey, which should take no longer than 10 minutes, is completely anonymous and provides important insight that helps inform decisions around the University’s future.

Congratulations and thanks
And finally, I would like to offer warmest wishes to Anna Young for winning the New Educator of the Year award in the Covid Unsung Hero Awards from WISE. Dr Young was recognised for her efforts to engage students during the pandemic in a ceremony at Windsor Castle, hosted by WISE Patron HRH The Princess Royal. I pay tribute to Anna and, more broadly, to all our colleagues for their hard work and efforts in supporting students throughout the pandemic.

With best wishes,

Professor Ian White
Vice-Chancellor and President

Posted in: Weekly Update