Did you know we are hosting a Summer Graduate Careers Fair on Tuesday, 28th April from 10am-4pm in Founders Hall? The fair is a great opportunity to explore graduate roles (if you are a finalist) or summer internships / work experience opportunities. You may want to have a look at the fair programme to explore the exhibitor list.
We understand this is a busy time for many of you with project deadlines and exams, so we wanted to share our top tips for making the most of the fair:
- Do your research: have a look at the fair programme and explore company websites. This way you won't waste time asking basic questions.
- Ask the right questions: make a list of the key questions you want to ask. Think about asking questions that will help you glean useful insights about the company such as: What is the culture like?, What are the key challenges / trends facing the industry? or What are the key skills you look for in applicants?
- Take your CV: the fair is an opportunity for you to market yourself, therefore take a recent copy of your CV and if the opportunity arises do hand it to potential employers.
- Dress appropriately: whilst there is no need to be suited and booted, do dress professionally! Afterall first impressions really matter.
- Follow up: where possible ask for the recruiters business card and follow up! Thank them for the advice they offered or email them your CV. It may also be useful to connect with them on LinkedIn.
Finally and most importantly, avoid going around the fair in a pack! This is an opportunity for you to demonstrate to potential employers you are a capable and independent individual. For more advice check out this really useful advice from TargetJobs.
Good luck and we look forward to seeing you at the Fair!