Career Check List for Final Years and Postgraduates
So, you have started your final year of your degree or your one year postgraduate degree? Apart from focusing on your academic skills, what can you do to improve your chances of landing that dream graduate job? Here is our careers check list for finalists.
- If you are interested in applying for graduate schemes, I am afraid you have no choice but to start applying now. Many graduate schemes are open and deadlines are closing soon. Most schemes have deadlines in October or November. Check MyFuture for both commercial and non-commercial schemes, or look at external sites such as Gradcracker or TargetJobs. Unsure how to get started? Have a look at our Find a Graduate job Guide.
- Perhaps you worked over the summer or has just got back from a placement? Get the CV work ready; read our CV and Applications Guide, attend one of our skills development sessions or come to one of our Application Advice appointments.
- Are you applying for graduate schemes but you have never before tried your hands on a psychometric test? Well, we have free ones; from verbal and numerical reasoning tests to situation judgement tests and e-tray exercises. Have a go for free here.
- Get ahead in the application process by attending employer recruitment events, we have our amazing careers fair in just a couple of weeks and we have tons of employer events this Autumn. Find out about different employers, different sectors and job roles and ask those employers important questions.
- Get involved! It is still not too late to get involved in societies, volunteering and/or get involved with the Bath Award to gain more transferable skills, which we know employers love.
- Find yourself an alumni mentor through our wonderful alumni networking tool - Bath Connection.
- Are you unsure of what you want to do next and therefore don’t know what to apply for? Take advantage of the range of resources on our careers website; online guidance tools, occupational research and much much more or look through the excellent Resources section on MyFuture. Explore, be curious and be inspired. Or come and see us in the Careers Service, you are welcome to ask us anything and we will support you the best we can. We have a range of appointments on offer.
Each Faculty has a Careers Adviser dedicated to support you in your career journey, who sends you regular careers updates throughout the term. You should receive weekly or bi-weekly from your Faculty Careers Adviser, but if you are unsure who she is, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Come and see us in the Virgil Building. We are here to support you along the way.
May your final year be the best one yet!