School for Health Salary: £31,454
Closing Date: To be confirmed
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Project: inTouch: A video link system to improve social inclusion for people with dementia
The Bath Institute of Medical Engineering (BIME) have partnered with the Research Institute for the Care of Older People and the School of Management to investigate the potential of video telephony to allow people with dementia to remain connected with friends and family. A significant number of people with dementia live alone or spend long periods alone and can become socially isolated. Improved social interaction can extend the time that a person with dementia can live independently at home, and improve their quality of life. This project will explore how a video link system can improve social inclusion for people with dementia.
Main duties and tasks:
- Source and/or develop suitable internet-based video-conferencing platform
- Develop flexible application software to interface with video-conferencing platform
- Work with other team members and study participants to define system specification using software prototypes
- Define, develop, measure and analyse usage metrics associated with the system
- Install and support equipment installations in day care centres and participant’s homes
The post holder will be based at the Bath Institute of Medical Engineering in Royal United Hospital.
For enquiries please contact Lisa Austin, Research Manager; L.Austin@Bath.ac.uk