Climate Literacy empowering students to lead change

Posted in: Education, Student action

Following a successful launch in 2021, Climate Literacy training has once again been provided to all incoming students, with over 1000 undergraduate and postgraduate students attending so far this year. 

Led by Climate Action Teaching and Learning Liaison, Professor Steve Cayzer, Climate Literacy offers incoming students an introduction to climate change, detailing the vital role of individuals in bringing about the necessary societal transformation required to effectively tackle it. 

As a University committed to delivering a whole-institution approach to climate change, this educational opportunity provides students with an insight to how their personal choices and behaviours impact on the University’s mission to minimise our footprint in line with our goal to be Net Zero by 2040. It also offers a first step on an exciting and thought-provoking journey for students to take while studying at University of Bath that will empower them with the skills, knowledge and drive to enable them to be change makers in their chosen industry or career. 

Climate Literacy is included in induction for all new undergraduate and postgraduate students, and this years’ cohort included students from across all faculties and courses. Of the students who undertook the introductory session, over 100 signed up for the full six-hours of training. 

On completion of the full training, students can apply for certification through the Carbon Literacy Project, providing accredited recognition for their work. In this application, students pledge personal and group commitments to carry out climate action beyond the close of the course. This year, this has included commitments to change diets, advocate for wider University or societal change, adopt lower carbon travel methods and to raise awareness and understanding among peers, friends and family. 

One student who completed the full course and has achieved Carbon Literacy certification, Noor Alrefaie, said “After obtaining a BEng in Civil Engineering, I grew an interest in sustainable buildings in the built environment which is why I went to pursue a MSc in sustainable modern building design. With the ever-changing climate, the environment needs us more than ever, so aside from my MSc, I wanted to gain further in-depth knowledge in climate literacy and how I can use that knowledge in mentoring my peers and family about shifting their habits and taking the right path to a zero-carbon future.  I hope to use my accreditation in my work life as well as my everyday life in where I can help to reduce the carbon footprint, one step at a time."

Offering training to all incoming students this year would not have been possible without the support of colleagues and PhD students from across the University. 

Emily Richards, Business Engagement Manager in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, delivered and supported several climate literacy sessions and said “I’ve been part of the Climate Literacy team since the pilot in 2020 and have really enjoyed working with colleagues in other faculties and meeting students during induction as they begin their journey at Bath. I’ve learnt such a lot from academics who are working on climate related issues, and I’ve changed my individual and professional practices as a result. My involvement in Climate Literacy is one reason why I decided to apply for the Advance HE Associate Fellowship - this isn’t an outcome that I had anticipated. I fully believe in the CAF teaching principle of providing students with the opportunity to study climate related issues and I’m proud to be part of the University’s approach to climate literacy. I’m hopeful that as a staff and student community we’re building knowledge and expertise to tackle the growing climate crisis.” 

The next Climate Literacy course is available across two sessions, on 19th April and 3rd May (participants must attend both). Sign up to this course using the link below.

Climate Literacy will also be offered to incoming students in the next academic year – anyone who would like to take part should contact climateaction@bath.ac.uk to register their interest. 

Posted in: Education, Student action

Sign up to the next Climate Literacy course