Prof Tim Mays on 50 years of chemical engineering at Bath

Posted in: 50 years of chemical engineering, Faculty of Engineering and Design, Staff experiences

In this series of blog posts celebrating our Department of Chemical Engineering's 50th anniversary, we asked previous Heads of Depts about their time at Bath. Here, Professor Tim Mays, who was Head of Department from 2013-2019, answers our questions.

Do you have any fun anecdotes about your time in the Department?

As Head of Dept, my SDPRs with the former Faculty Dean were great fun. Or were they??? I was also told by some that research in sustainable hydrogen energy was a waste of time... hahahaha!!!

What did you find most challenging in your time in the Department?

Sadly, a valued colleague in the department passed away while I was HoD. I think now that I could have handled the situation better, especially to support those significantly affected.

What is/was your favourite subject to teach?

I really enjoyed teaching the thermodynamics, which makes me a bit (a lot!) weird. However, it's much more interesting and important than kinetics.

Do you have a favourite spot at the University or in the Department?

I used to enjoy my massive HoD office in 9 West. The former senior common room was also quite fun - now sadly gone. Summer walks around campus are wonderful.

If you were to have a chemical engineering-related tattoo (e.g. formula, famous engineer, quote etc), what would it be?

Chemical engineering: making good stuff from ordinary stuff without making bad stuff.

Do you have any inspiring colleagues, lecturers, friends, or students you'd like to thank?

My partner, Hannah South, has been an absolute rock of kindness and good sense. I am very lucky that we have been together now for over 25 years.

If you had to describe the Department (in your time) in three words, what would they be?

1. Challenging
  2. Interesting
  3. Important

If you could give your younger self a bit of advice now, what would it be?

Never panic and always be kind.