What is your current position?

Safety Coordinator for South Sciences

How long have you worked at the University?

16 months. 10 months as a teaching and research technician, and 6 months in my current role.

What did you do before that?

I was a School Science senior technician prior to this post, but I have had all sorts of posts. As the post was term time only I supplemented my income by temping as a care worker. Prior to the school I was a post-doctoral researcher at Bath University but have also held a large amount of administrative positions in my time. I started my working life as a print room assistant in Bath so have never travelled that far from home for work.

Tell us about your journey so far at Bath

I started as a teaching and research technician in the Chemistry synthetic teaching laboratory. When the position for safety coordinator came up I applied for it and was successful. I had already completed a two year post-doc in the chemistry department so was already fairly familiar with the layout and quite a few of the staff.

Is there anything you would have done differently?

No, I don’t think so. I would have liked to continue in the University of Bath after my postdoc but no suitable positions became available.

Was there any particular training or other development resource that you found especially useful?

I try to undertake any short course or workshops available to me. I have completed the Managing mental well-being at work workshop which I intend to utilise in the welfare part of my role. The most relevant training was not provided by the University, I paid for the NEBOSH general certificate in Occupational Health and Safety myself, and having completed that am studying for the NEBOSH diploma.

What next?

I am due to finish my NEBOSH diploma in January 2020 so I will have to see on the results of that. I am hoping to tighten up some of the protocols and reinstate procedures that used to happen but have been dropped over time.

Posted in: Career development, Case studies, Technician Experiences