As the Skills Centre’s programme of academic and employability skills workshops gets underway, we introduce our friendly team of teachers, dedicated to sharing their expertise to help enrich your academic journey at Bath, and share some of their academic skills top tips.  

Justin 

Justin Alam

I’ve been teaching academic skills at a number of universities since 2000. With a background in philosophy (I have a PhD in Philosophy from the University of Bristol), my main interests are in critical thinking and argumentation.  

Top tip: If there’s one thing I’d stress about essays and discussion sections of reports, it’s make sure these are argument-led and that you lead the argument! 

Justin’s workshops: 

• Improve your critical thinking 
  • Summarising and paraphrasing 
  • Improve your academic style 
  • Kickstart your assignment 
  • Taking part in meetings 
  • Using feedback for success 
  • Devising your exam strategy 

Dima 

Dima Wannous 

I have a PhD in Contemporary Children's Fiction from Anglia Ruskin University. Before joining the Skills Centre, I taught and developed modules in Media & Cultural Studies at Keele University International College. I'm passionate about skills development and helping students to find their voice in their academic journey so they can realise their ambitions at university and beyond. 

Top tip: Don't see writing as a task, but as a ‘thinking partner’. Even when things seem foggy, begin writing to discover and shape your ideas. 

Dima’s workshops: 

• Knowledge, truth and bias
  • Power introductions and conclusions 
  • Report writing under the microscope 
  • Perfect paragraphs 
  • Referencing refresher 
  • Email and communication etiquette 
  • Using feedback for success 
  • Group work essentials
  • Speculation in writing 
  • Getting exam-ready 

Grace 

Grace Macmillan

I’ve been working in the Skills Centre for over thirty years, so I have a lot of experience! What I enjoy most is supporting students who lack confidence, to give them skills that enable them to flourish and really get the most out of their studies. 

Top tip: Look after your health, make friends, follow your interests, and make good memories so that when you look back, you remember your time at university with satisfaction, laughter, and gratitude. 

Grace’s workshops: 

• Strategic reading and note-taking 
  • Listening in lectures 
  • Improve your academic style 
  • Summarising and paraphrasing 
  • Participating in seminars 
  • Public speaking
  • Getting exam-ready 
  • Devising your exam strategy 

Nalini 

Nalini Malhotra

I have a Master's in TESOL from Sheffield Hallam University and I've worked in HE in Cambridge and in the United Arab Emirates for almost 24 years. I have a personal policy of 'no student left behind' and I enjoy finding innovative ways to simplify concepts in relation to digital, academic and employability skills as well as English for Academic Purposes (EAP). I'm passionate about integrating technology within education to make learning interactive and more engaging.

Top tip: Ever wondered how presenters connect with their audience? Grab their attention with an anecdote or an amazing fact at the start of your presentation that is connected to your topic and to people’s life experiences in general. 

Nalini’s workshops: 

• Kickstart your assignment 
  • Presentation skills 
  • Edit and proofread like a pro 
  • Report writing under the microscope 
  • Using assessment criteria to boost your grades 
  • Reader-friendly writing 
  • Referencing refresher 
  • Getting exam-ready 
  • Devising your exam strategy 

Malcolm 

Malcolm Skene

My background is in English literature and linguistics. I've got a Master's in Linguistics from Queen Mary University of London. I’ve worked in the Skills Centre for a few years now, most recently as a Course Leader, and I really enjoy sharing my insights into academic, digital and employability skills with students.  

Top tip: Remember that reading is important, but so is writing. Try to target your reading and don’t put off note-taking and collating your ideas in written form. 

Malcolm’s workshops: 

• Power introductions and conclusions 
  • Improve your critical thinking
  • Referencing refresher 
  • Edit and proofread like a pro 

You can find 5 great reasons to attend a skills enrichment workshop and read one student's experience of How skills enrichment workshops have helped me improve my work on our blog.

If you have any questions about the skills enrichment workshops, please contact Malcolm Skene, Digital & Academic Skills Course Leader. 

We look forward to seeing you at a skills enrichment workshop soon! 

Posted in: academic skills, academic writing, critical thinking, employability

Skills enrichment programme