Life by the Lake with Nick

Posted in: Life by the Lake

If you could go back…what advice would you give to yourself at the start of your first year?

Still go to a lecture, even if you haven’t done the prelearning. I regret using that as an excuse to skip because a lot of the times they would recap the prelearning at the start.

What is your best student hack?

This might be specific to me, but limit the notes you take in lectures. Focus more on listening to what a lecturer is saying rather than just copying words down from a slide, those will always be available later.

Favourite meal to share with friends?

My friends recently introduced me to Charcuterie Boards and they’re pretty good. It’s quite nice too because I wouldn’t usually buy it myself. I didn’t think I’d be a cheese and crackers person, but I’ve since been converted.

What café, restaurant or place in town is your favourite?

I take everyone who comes to visit, to Toppings Bookstore. Even if they don’t read I just think it’s a really cool place. Food wise I quite like Chando’s Deli, really good bread.

What is your hidden gem in Bath?

It’s not exactly hidden but I think you have to go to Tivoli at least once. It’s basically a really fancy Cinema with nice seating and they serve food too.

What do you do to unwind?

I quite like cooking or baking at home. Recreating something nice I ate at a restaurant is cool. It’s made me more adventurous when eating out now too because it encourages me to order something that I can’t just make at home.

How do you like to spend your time with friends?

Over anything else, I like chilled nights at home just talking for ages. Or playing on my flatmate’s Nintendo Switch, those nights can be really fun.

What is your best money saving tip?

Bulk cooking your meals. A lot of the times, my lunch on campus will be the excess of last night’s dinner. Plus it saves you time because you don’t have to queue. Just make sure you get a leakproof container.

Who or what picks you up when you are down?

Speaking to my family and close friends helps or going on a walk to clear my head.

What’s your worst habit?

Making myself or my friends late, especially in the morning. I live with people on my course and admittedly sometimes I spend longer in bed in the morning than I should.

What helps you focus or be productive?

Working without listening to music was the biggest change in my productivity. ‘Changing the song’ always leads to checking notifications and messages and the next thing you know you’re scrolling through Instagram and your problem sheet is looking a little too blank.

Best place to go for some fresh air?

The parade gardens in the city is the best place to go and it’s free for Bath students if you’ve got your student ID. I used to read there a lot in the summer and it’s also just nice to sit down and do nothing. Prior Park is a little more effort but it’s got a really good view.

What couldn’t you live without?

I need my phone for everything.

What is your favourite song and why?

I listen to Leon Thomas a lot but only because his songs sound good to me, no real meaning to it. If I answer that with a bit more thought, I’d say ‘Howling’ by Noah Kahan and because it reminds me of my hometown.

Best piece of advice you have been given?

You’re not too cool to have fun.

Posted in: Life by the Lake