What other topic would we have for today's blog? If you do want to stand as an MP here are some facts:
- You must be over 18 years of age, be a British citizen or citizen of a Commonwealth country or the Republic of Ireland
- Candidates must be nominated by ten parliamentary electors of the constituency they wish to stand in.
- Authorisation is required to stand for a specific party, otherwise candidates will be described as independent or have no description.
- A £500 deposit is required when submitting the nomination papers - returned if the candidate receives over five per cent of the total votes cast.
- Certain people are disqualified from standing as an MP - check the Electoral Commission website for further details.
Standing as an MP is not the only way to be involved in Politics. For more ideas you should go to our information sheet.