Heart, Soul, Mind and Strength

Posted in: Uncategorised

Hi, my name is Katy, I’m a curate in the Church of England (trainee vicar) at a church just down the road in Combe Down. This last week I have been on placement here at the Chaplaincy and here is a reflection from my time here with you.

There is something quite unique about universities. It’s important to see them not just as places to gain qualifications like commodities to further careers. After all, we humans are more than cogs in a money-making system. What I have observed over the last week, through conversations with individuals, various meeting with staff, and seeing what goes on in terms of interfaith dialogue, is that this University has the potential to be a place where the whole person is nurtured. For example, the work in the Sports Training Village enables the formation of not just physical fitness, but work ethic, team values, dedication, and commitment, as well as an increased understanding of nutrition, mental health awareness, anatomy, and countless other whole-person perspectives.

Prior to my journey towards ordained ministry in the church, I had a career in ballet. I went to ballet school in London in my early twenties and had opportunities to perform, followed by ten years of teaching in both the private and public sector. The more I taught dance, the more I realised the whole-person perspective is crucial, particularly having fallen into the trap of seeing my physical body as a machine that I needed perfecting, which, of course, had repercussions on my own mental health. If you are a student, value your whole self, if you are a lecturer, the same applies for you and those under your care. And for all of us, we must seek to see the value both in ourselves, and in every human we encounter. And here in the University, what a rich environment to learn how to connect with people, cultures, faiths, minds, and bodies, that are completely different to our own. In this way, universities can be places that contribute to the betterment of society, and the furthering of social justice.

From a Christian perspective, this is what we are commanded to do, to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength, and love our neighbour as ourselves. Jesus said there is no other command greater than these.

Katy
Katy Partridge: Curate

Posted in: Uncategorised