Incredible India

Posted in: Culture, Visit

Nervous students, worried parents, a difficult maths paper, and hot like an oven... All came together for one thing: the dream of studying at the University of Bath. As part of the IRO recruitment team, I spent a few days travelling around India to meet with new students hoping to arrive in September and, as always, India offered some memorable experiences.

A view of Bara Gumbad tomb and mosque, Lodhi Gardens, New Delhi
Bara Gumbad tomb and mosque, Lodhi Gardens, New Delhi

The main point of this trip was to reassure students that their results were enough to meet their offer and to reassure the parents that their children would have accommodation to stay in the UK. Over five days we met with over 200 students in agents' offices, education events and pre-departure evenings at all hours in both New Delhi and Mumbai. Parents are very keen to know the details of their children’s lives as students in the UK, from the dimensions of their rooms to what places they can go to eat.

It was a real treat for me to come and visit India again as I haven’t been for nearly three years. People are always so friendly – our alumni who insisted on taking us for a drink, the concierge who helped us find a suitable venue to enjoy the night life and the hotel driver who made sure I got to all my appointments on time. And of course, our agents who made sure we had everything we needed!

A view of taxi lane in India
Taxi lane in Delhi

India is all about the senses, the food, the colours, and the smells. One thing I particularly love about this place is the tea - being typically British I drink lots of it! India is a place where they know how to make a good cup of tea. I can’t wait to go back!

Delhi street view at night
Delhi street view at night

Posted in: Culture, Visit