Amina Guerriche is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of English at the University of Constantine 1 in Constantine, Algeria. She tells us about opening doors through education, taking advantage of support systems and joining every society under the Sun… 

Why did you choose to study at Bath?  

I chose Bath because this city captivated me. It is culturally rich yet peaceful, beautiful, and enjoyable to live in.

Also, my choice was strategic as I took into consideration safety, calmness, the University’s academic rating and students' experience, as well as the specialty I wanted to pursue. Bath gave me all of this.  

Did you have a particular career in mind when you chose your course? 

When choosing the course I wanted to open several doors – academia and teaching, as well as work with embassies and governmental agencies. It was the right choice! 

Can you tell us about your experience of studying here? Any favourite memories, or places to go on campus and in the city? 

My experience in Bath was amazing – I made great memories within and outside the University. Some of my fun memories come from when I joined, during my first year, almost 10 societies. I was very active back at home and so I wanted to have different experiences. I tried the salsa, yoga, boxing, jujitsu, capoeira, TEDx, and Model United Nations societies, among others. This was for short periods, due to the overwhelming amount of academic work I had to focus on.  

One of my sweetest memories is of spring and summer, when I sat very often on the ground in SouthGate with my laptop and snacks. I just enjoyed the breeze and the nice atmosphere with other students and families. I also loved watching the sunset from the Parade on campus with my friends.   

What was your experience as an international student studying in the UK? Do you have any advice for others? 

It was fantastic, especially as the University of Bath has an amazing support and mentorship system. I discovered a lot, and learned so much on both personal and professional levels. I do advise future students to take advantage of all the facilities, opportunities and societies on offer, and to have no fear of stepping outside their comfort zone. 

Describe your career journey since graduating. What is a typical day like in your current role?  

I work now as a senior lecturer at the University of Constantine. The responsibilities of my role range from teaching and research through to event organisation. I also work on my other passions outside of work – including fashion and beauty, managing a small retail business and developing future projects – so no two days are similar.  

What advice would you give to prospective students thinking about studying your course at Bath?  

I would highly encourage them to go for it! It will open several doors for you, and you’ll not only boost your education but also benefit and learn from all the people you meet; the events you take part in; the activities you engage in; and the amazing network that you will be a part of. Be engaged! 

Posted in: Bath, Humanities & Social Sciences, International, Parade profiles, Postgraduate

Network with fellow graduates on Bath Connection