The Chinese Community at Bath University

Posted in: Faculty of Engineering, First year, Undergraduate

Hi everyone! I am a first-year international student from Shanghai, China. I would like to proudly introduce you to the lovely Chinese community here at the University of Bath. No matter if you are a Chinese or East Asian student, or simply fond of the Asian culture, you really should come along and join the incredible events run by the Chinese Societies.

When I first joined the University, I was full of excitement. But when school stress kicks in, and after a while of not having home-cooked food, I started to feel homesick. Luckily, the Chinese Societies in Bath gave me the opportunity to meet new friends and gave me a sense of home.

There’s always one that will fit you in…

In Bath, there are around 500 students from mainland China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. This is not a big community compared to other universities. But unbelievably we have more than five Chinese societies. They include Bath CSSA (Chinese Students and Scholars Association in Bath), ChinaRen Society, one official and one non-official Hong Kong Society, Taiwanese Society,  and ABACUS (association of British and Chinese University Students).

Each of them is independent of each other and run a variety of events throughout the year. Students from any background are welcome to join. So there is five times the opportunity for you to meet new friends and enjoy Asian culture! I am sure there will always be one that fits your identity. You may find more details on each society on the Student’s Union website

Exciting events

The societies run incredible events throughout the year. I have been to freshers' icebreaker socials, board games, city tours, a Halloween party, Christmas ball, also watched the “Voice of Bath” singing competition and Chinese New Year Gala. There are also special events like ski line walking, speed dating, firework watching, dim sum eating, hotpot night, Mahjong tournament, orientation camp…you name it!

Sports tournaments are organised and played amongst different societies. You will also have the chance to play against teams from other universities. Guest speakers are sometimes invited to give talks to society members on academics and placements. So there is always something for you to take part in.

More than having fun!

Bath CSSA is registered and affiliated with the Embassy of the People’s Republic of China. Under the ongoing pandemic situation, the Chinese Embassy has taken great care of Chinese students. The Embassy has supplied students with health kits through the CSSA. The health kit includes hand sanitiser, disinfectant wipes, surgical masks and cold medicines. It is indeed very heartwarming to receive a package full of love from my home country.

For me, Chinese societies are a second home. Everyone in the society, Chinese or non-Chinese, is close to each other and they really create a sense of community and belonging. There is a whole host of societies in Bath that will meet your background, religion, passions, and even academic subjects. So why hesitate? Come along and meet like-minded people.  Just come along and make the most of your university experience!

Find out more about all of the societies at Bath