Nervous International Fresher? Here are my tips!

Posted in: First year, Freshers' Week, International students, Undergraduate

Don’t worry, we’ve all been there and surpassed it!

Packing up and booking the flight that’s going to change your life is the most nerve-wracking but exciting feeling ever!

I am excited to share my experience and the rollercoaster of emotions I was going through before arriving at university. I'll also give you some insight and advice for when you are getting ready to embark upon this wonderful journey of your life!

Firstly, having nervous breakdowns is totally part of the experience! I cannot even begin to explain the number of 2 am crying sessions I had before going to university, mainly about the fear of not making friends. It’s normal to have these fears but you need to remember that you are not the only one feeling the same way. EVERYONE is at the same stage of life as you. University is so diverse that you are bound to meet a huge number of people, of which you will find the ones who are meant to be in your life - genuine friends.

The day I said my final goodbye to my friends as we were all moving away to pursue different study paths.

Saying goodbye to my friends from home was also one of the most difficult moments for me since it felt like a whole era of my life was ending. But knowing that the end of an era meant the start of a whole new one was the most thrilling feeling EVER! It made me feel more grateful than ever to be surrounded by the people I was, and I couldn’t wait to meet the people that were going to bring as much joy to my life in Bath.

Of course, it’s terrifying moving from one country to another with a whole different culture, lifestyle, sense of humour… Honestly, my biggest fear was not fitting in with the ‘British banter’, but I learnt that we, as people are more adaptable than we think. I went into the UK with an open mind and was eager to learn about this so-called British banter. I’m pretty sure I’ve got the hang of it now - it’s basically a form of sarcasm!

An important thing to note is that British students are so fascinated by foreign students that you will not feel left out - instead, you will be interrogated (in a friendly way, of course) with questions all about your life! And who doesn’t like talking about themselves?!

Finally, those final couple of nights before the big day...I remember getting my hair done, getting waxed, doing my nails, as if I was getting MARRIED! However, self-care and pampering yourself is so important, especially if you find yourself in a stressful situation!

I can also recall saying goodbye to all my neighbours who I had lived with my whole life - not that I was close to them.  It just made the situation more dramatic than it should have been since I was literally going to return home in 3 months for Christmas! But I was so proud of myself for being able to go through this whole journey of emotions so independently, as should you!

These are some of the incredible friends I have made in my first year. So grateful.

Going to the University of Bath is something for which we should all be so proud of ourselves. It’s an incredible university with unbelievable prestige. The second I arrived at the university campus I felt so welcomed by everyone around me that I instantly felt my stomach butterflies fade away.