Why I chose to Study Sociology here at Bath

Posted in: Department of Social & Policy Sciences, Undergraduate

Why Sociology?

1. I developed a passion for understanding the world when I was young. My mother would always have on Stacey Dooley documentaries, which sparked an interest in understanding poverty, social justice, human rights, discrimination and much more. We used to discuss how to solve issues or why specific issues arise; without realising, I was having a sociological discussion with my mother. Once I realised, when picking my A Levels, that this is what sociology was, I couldn't have been more excited to study it.
  2. I am very passionate about cultural issues. I was a self-proclaimed feminist from the age of seven. I realised, from various books, documentaries, and podcasts, that feminism was all about women worldwide suffering in different ways. I later realised that discrimination did not only apply to women's issues, which affected me, but also issues around race. When I came to university, I became more passionate about issues that I used to find studying boring. I am a first-generation student from a working-class background, and coming to university made me realise all the barriers I faced and interested me in social mobility. Studying for my degree also made me more socially aware; for example, after having a few lectures about ableism, I realised the constant discrimination my mother (who is disabled) faced, and hopefully, my degree, whilst it is interesting, also has helped me become a better person.
  3. I enjoy writing. I've always preferred writing essays in comparison to answering simple questions that have a correct answer. I enjoy exploring in depth rather than finding the correct answer; Sociology suits this learning style perfectly!

Why Bath?

1. The University of Bath is frequently ranked top 5 for Sociology in all three of the main UK university league tables. This means that the University of Bath is a top university for my course. I will receive high-quality teaching from professors researching world, ground-breaking topics, which usually makes my lectures even more enjoyable! This also means that employers tend to prefer a graduate from the University of Bath, especially in Sociology-related careers, as they know the skills Bath graduates develop are desirable.
  2. It is a campus university. I liked living on campus as it felt safer and had a friendly community feel. Bath offers one of the safest campuses and cities in the UK. This made me feel less anxious about moving away from home - and put my parent's minds at ease!
  3. The city of Bath is beautiful. It is a world heritage city, with lots of shopping (which I love). In contrast to my hometown, Southampton, Bath feels like something special - tourists come here throughout the year, the Christmas Markets are the best I've ever visited in the UK, and the architecture is beautiful, especially in the summer!

Why Sociology at Bath?

1. There are many opportunities to study modules that are not Sociology-specific in and outside the department. For example, I am currently studying a Politics module led by the Department of Politics, Languages & International Studies here at Bath. There are also several opportunities to take modules from the University's Department of Psychology and other humanities-based departments. There are also opportunities to take modules within the department that are not Sociology-specific. For example, last year, I studied modules in Social Policy and International Development; this year, I have chosen to study modules in Criminology. This means that my degree is well-rounded, but also means that I can explore new subjects that I've never studied before during my degree.
  2. From my experience, the peers I've met who study within the Department of Social & Policy Sciences are kind, welcoming and passionate people, and it has been a pleasure to meet like-minded people who come from across the world.
  3. The teaching staff are kind, always there to help, and extremely interesting! I've had lecturers researching topics around Prisons, Mental Health, Teenage Pregnancy, Child Trafficking, and Council Housing. Despite being busy with research, my lecturers, particularly my first-year personal tutor, were always there for me, pastorally and academically, which has supported my progress at university.

Thinking of studying BSc Sociology?