The best free things to do around Bath

Posted in: Postgraduate, The City of Bath, Why Bath?

As a student, it can be hard to find places to visit and things to do which don’t involve lots of travel or threaten your overdraft! Fortunately for us, there are lots of free things to see and do right here in the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Bath. Some attractions are free of cost for the general public, and others are free for students of the University of Bath. Just don’t forget your library card!

Here are some of my favourite free things to do at the weekend in Bath.

Take a tour of the famous sights

Go on a self-guided walking tour of Bath. There are lots of free routes available online, which guide you past the Bath Abbey, the Pump Room, the Circus and the Royal Crescent (as seen in Bridgerton). My favourite place in Bath’s city centre is Topping & Company Booksellers, with several levels of floor to ceiling bookshelves and sliding ladders straight out of Beauty and the Beast!

Take advantage of your library card at the most iconic attractions of Bath

Make sure to loop your walking tour back to the Roman Baths, which has free entry for University of Bath students. Audio guides are free in multiple languages, and I can recommend tasting the hot spring water at the end of your tour- it’s certainly an interesting flavour... If you do fancy travelling further afield, then your library card will give you free entry to the Holburne Museum too, with frequently changing exhibitions and friendly staff.

A view of Bath Abbey from the Roman Baths

The outdoor pool with its iconic green colouring at the Roman Baths

Watch a fudge making demonstration

One which I enjoyed this weekend! The Fudge Kitchen (opposite the Abbey) does regular short fudge making demonstrations at the weekend- just walk on into the shop. The staff are super entertaining and will answer all of your confectionary questions whilst offering you lots of free samples. You can even ask to try any of the flavours! Whilst I can recommend their fudge as a gift for friends or family, there’s no pressure to buy and the experience is well worth a visit if you’re in the town centre.

Get some fresh air

The Bath Skyline Walk offers a panoramic view of this beautiful city. Just a short distance from the city centre, the route comprises 6 miles of meadows, ancient woodland and stunning valleys. The walk takes 3-4 hours and is circular. Grab some friends, take a picnic, and make a day of it!

A sunset view of one of Bath's beautiful valleys

Take a wander around the different markets

Bath has a huge variety and markets throughout the year. On top of the famed Christmas markets, there’s a quaint artisan market on the first Saturday of every month in Queen Square, and a frequent turnover of events at Green Park Station. Last month my friends and I visited the Bath Vegan Market, another monthly event with a variety of different food, craft and clothes stalls. Green Park is always great for a weekend mooch, with a weekly farmers market and lots of different free events hosted throughout the year.

My friends and I in front of the Christmas tree in the town centre

Get some animal therapy!

Saving the best until last (in my opinion!): Bath City Farm. This initiative is completely free to the public and is an absolute favourite among myself and my friends. There’s no better way to decompress after a long week on campus than by stroking some pygmy goats, sheep, and alpacas. You can also feed the pigs, chickens and ducks. If you’re looking for a weekly fix of animal TLC, you can even volunteer to feed the animals at the farm on a regular basis.

Bonding with the sheep at the farm
A black and white chicken looking into the camera
One of the farm residents