Hello from Delegate number Two!

Posted in: Uncategorized

Hello everyone!

As you learnt from Mohammed’s earlier post we are the two Delegates from Bath attending the One Young World summit at the end of the Summer. The opportunity is one I never would have expected to have and I am incredibly grateful to The University of Bath for making it a possibility. I cannot wait to travel over with Mohammed and fully immerse myself in every aspect of the event.

To introduce myself, I have just finished my second year at Bath where I am studying Education with Psychology. The degree allows me to study a broad range of issues facing children and young people from all around the world, from Education to child labour. Studying these areas has made me realise how many challenges are faced everyday by children worldwide and I look forward to engaging with other delegates and discussing these issues.

I am originally from Weymouth, a small seaside town in the south of England which is where I am spending my summer. I work in a small but well known fish restaurant here called the Crab House Café which I really enjoy, and from which I am learning more and more about fish every day. I really love living by the seaside and miss it hugely when I am in Bath, when I am home I try and spend as much time as possible on the beach.

Weymouth pleasure beach

A few days after returning from the Summit in October I will be starting a new job at The University of Oxford which I will be at for the duration of my work placement year as part of my degree. I will be working as part of two research teams looking into education provision within the UK, and how the home and the school can work in unison to develop a child’s being. I hope this year of experience in a real life research situation will equip me with the skills for a possible career in Educational research.

I hope by attending this summit I will be able to speak to like-minded people who feel this same passion about equal opportunities for all children. My main focus for the past year has been the astounding numbers of child refugees who struggle to have access to a stable home, let alone a consistent education.  I hope to see more being done to tackle this issue as soon as possible, otherwise whole generations may be lost.

Unlike Mohammad I do not have my own blog or channel, but I will be keeping all of you as up to date as possible on my journey too and time at the summit! A huge thank you again to Bath for this amazing opportunity, I am really excited about what the next year has in store for me.

Speak to you all soon!

Posted in: Uncategorized