How to make Halls feel homely – Home away from Home

Posted in: Accommodation

Living in university accommodation can be a great opportunity to make new friends and socialise with people. However, for some it can be nerve-racking as it may be the first time living away from home and there are quite some adjustment to get used to. For example, some may feel homesick/lonely, some may be cooking for the first time, some may find it hard to share the living space with other people. In my first year, I was reluctant to spend on these décor but in the end, I wish I invested in these items earlier. You can reuse them for a few years and it is really important to feel comfortable at where you are living!

Cozy Bedroom

Here are a few tips on how to make your accommodation feel more homely, cozier and make it your new home!

• Decorate your room with items that have sentimental value or remind you of home.

Photos, posters, or décor from your hometown! I always have a wall of photos to remind me of all the lovely memories I have and the people I love. I even arranged them in a heart shape as decoration. It is fun to make and definitely lifts my mood when I feel homesick or lonely.

• Add soft furnishings like cushions, blankets, and rugs can also make the space feel warmer and more inviting.

Adding your personality into your décor, colour co-ordinating these items can make the room so much cozier. Having a warm blanket is helpful in the winter! Sometimes I bring it to the common room when I spend time with my flatmates too.

Don’t be afraid to bring your soft toys to uni. Many people do it!

• Greens! Bring in some houseplants or fresh flowers to liven up the space and make it feel more vibrant.

When I am feeling down, I would buy myself some flowers to cheer myself up and putting it in a flask in my room lightens up the mood for the week too.

If you don’t have the time to water your plants, buy some artificial ones as décor!

plants

• Finally, consider investing in some ambient lighting, or a bedside lamp, to create a cozy atmosphere.

A bedside lamp is really helpful for my sleep. The dimmer light helps me wind down and get ready for bed. I also put fairy lights around the pin board in my room.

lamp

• Social activities

Eating with other people is found to reduce loneliness. You may suggest group meals with your flatmates. In my flat, we would take turns to cook a dish from our culture and share it with the flat every Sunday. It is nice to socialise and learn about each other’s background and culture.

Every weekend we would gather in the lounge and watch TV together. It saves money in comparison to going out for a meal and it can be really relaxing!

Posted in: Accommodation