According to Gradsouthwest.com, the South West enjoys higher than average employment and was recently judged to be the happiest place to work. Good news so far. So what opportunities are available to you when you graduate? The following illustrates the range of employers based here:
- Major employers are aero-industry companies such as Rolls-Royce, Airbus and BAE Systems.
- Electronics, IT and civil engineering firms, numerous software companies and employers such as Orange and Hewlett Packard, as well as many of the large engineering consultancies have offices in the South West.
- Bristol is emerging as an important financial center (outside of London), with companies such as AXA, Bristol and West, and Lloyds TSB being well represented, as are law, accountancy and other professional services.
- Public sector employers include not just local councils and health service trusts but outposts of national government, including the MoD.
- Some of the country's best Universities are located in the region and include Bath, Exeter, Bristol, Falmouth just to name a few.
- The South West is recognised for its vibrant creative industries and companies such as Denham Productions, BBC South West and Aardman Animations all based in the region.
Explore opportunities available to you...
- Search for local employers on MyFuture, the Careers Services comprehensive jobs board.
- Graduate South West is an online vacancy service for all the universities in the South West of England, which collates job vacancies from all the higher education institutions in the region.
- GradCornwall vacancies in Cornwall for students and graduates
- Major employers in the South West comprehensive list produced by the University of Exeter careers service, lists employers by industry sector.
For more information do pop in for a 1:1 with a Careers Adviser.