Promoting understanding of sustainability in the stewardship of resources

Posted in: Comment

Initially, I wondered what to make of the expert group's proposal to government that an aim of the curriculum ought to be to ...

Promote understanding of sustainability in the stewardship of resources locally, nationally and globally

My first reaction was one of some relief that there is anything in there at all.  The second is that

the stewardship of resources locally, nationally and globally

is actually a rather interesting phrase given that the availability and use of resources are key to the way that our lives and civilisation will (be able to) develop.  The imperative for schools, therefore, might just be to accept the challenge of this less than perfect phrasing, and to work within it.

Perhaps we shall have little choice, but it will surely be an error to indulge in too much self-indulgent pedantry and precious textual critique here; the best will certainly be the enemy of the good.

Much better that DfE / Mr Gove are deluged with welcoming comments about the importance of their accepting the recommendations.

Posted in: Comment

• I'm just reading this proposal now and searched for that phrase to see if they had lifted it from somewhere else (like a Tory think-tank!). I agree that it is less than perfect phrasing and note that it is at the bottom of the list.
    In the rational for inclusion of sustainability as the 5th aim for this new curriculum the sole reason given is that other 'high performing' education systems have it as a goal. This is hardly an inspiring, values driven approach. I looked for the word 'outdoor' in the document as well but came up with a blank. There was no mention in the white paper either so I guess it was a bit much to hope for.
    We will have to see what Mr. Gove and co. make of the proposal as they stew on it over the coming months. I should take your advice and email him now with high praise for such enlightened thinking.