What if they were really set free?

This is the title of a two-page article in the Economist in early January.  It's about Ethiopia and how the country's doing these days – despite the government – and how much better off (in almost every sense) its people might yet become.

The piece exemplifies why I find the Economist such a compelling read: it's informative – did you know that Ethiopia has opened 32 universities since 2000, and that the median age of its population is 19?  The first of these may well be a consequence of the second – it balances its coverage of the good with a focus on the egregiously awful, it is pellucidly clear about its biases – open-trade and markets, internationalism, and liberal social policies – it's clear on its sources and where uncertainty lies, it explores issues in considerable depth, it's written with clarity, economy and considerable wit, it's moral without being too moralistic, and it's all rather unpredictable.

If I were a global learning enthusiast, I'd hope it became required critical reading for my students.