Being a Beast

Posted in: Comment, New Publications

I am reading (slowly) Charles Foster's Being a Beast published by Profile Books 2016, ISBN 978-1781255346

It's a book where the being (as opposed to being with has to be taken seriously.  I suppose a more apt title might have been Trying to be a Beast, given that Foster never quite escapes his human-ness, but that's to nit pick.   Anyway, if you've not read it, I can only say that you are missing an essential dimension to outdoor learning.  I, for one, shall never think about otters or foxes in the same way again.  Do read it, and maybe you will wonder with me how he kept his lucky children out of the clutches of the guardians of public morality and safety.

Quite understandably, Being a Beast won an IgNobel prize.  The citation was: Awarded jointly to Charles Foster, for living in the wild as, at different times, a badger, an otter, a deer, a fox, and a bird; and to Thomas Thwaites, for creating prosthetic extensions of his limbs that allowed him to move in the manner of, and spend time roaming hills in the company of, goats.  All part of life ...

Posted in: Comment, New Publications