Blencathra on the BBC

Posted in: Comment, News and Updates

I watched a BBC film about Blencathra (a year in the life of) the other week.  In my younger life, I spent considerable time on that mountain and the film did justice to its fine sculpture: think blooming heather, time-lapse scudding clouds, fading sunsets, ... .  The music was intrusive (and not at all Cumbrian).  And there were only a few authentic local voices to listen to.  There was the obligatory tale of the phantom horsemen of Souter Fell despite its being quite separate from Blencathra.

When it finally finished (to much relief) I reflected on an omission: there was no mention of the Blencathra foxhounds.  Given the cultural significance of fox-hunting in the Lake District, and the fact that the Blencathra hunt survives today (despite everything right-thinking types threw at it), this seemed odd.  Until, that is, you remembered who the programme was made for.  Just too hot to handle for the BBC, I guess, as mentioning this core part of the mountain's life might be taken as conveying approval which would never do.

Posted in: Comment, News and Updates