Ofsted on Rich and Deep – a promise made

Still not having had a response from Ofsted to my March 2017 enquiry, I wrote again:

Earlier this year, I listened with great interest to the Chief Inspector’s first interview on Radio 4, and I then read her speech to the ASCL conference (on-line). I was puzzled by this sentence:

"I suspect no one here will disagree with the vital importance of a curriculum which is broad, rich and deep.”

Given that Section 78 of the 2002 Education Act says this:

(1) The curriculum for a maintained school or maintained nursery school satisfies the requirements of this section if it is a balanced and broadly based curriculum which ...

(a) promotes the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development of pupils at the school and of society, and

(b) prepares pupils at the school for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life.

… I wondered why the Chief Inspector talked about "rich and deep", but not "balanced". My questions to you are:

[i] Has Ofsted abandoned the idea of balance?
[ii] what do "rich" and "deep" mean to Ofsted in relation to the curriculum?

Yours,

... and got a response last week.  But all this said that I'd get an answer to my question in due course.

Progress!