The leaving of Facebook

Posted in: Comment, News and Updates

I am in the process of leaving Facebook, an organisation I have come to detest.  In truth, I've never posted anything and only used it to keep up with the activities of NGOs.  A small sacrifice on my part, then, and no great loss to the company's mega profits.  I am clearly not alone in this leaving, but it's more usual for over-55s ( a term that flatters me ) to join than leave.  It's the young that are running away, ashen-faced from their folly, which must be a worry to Mr Z (and Ms S) as they contemplate the loss of $zillions from their share dividends.

The Times says that Emarketer, a digital research company, estimates that Facebook lost 2.8 million users under 25 last year, and that it lost users in all its youth groups with 1.4 million teenagers worldwide no longer using the platform regularly.  This is a story I hear from young people on the ground who've migrated to Snapchat which gained 1.9 million users aged under 25 last year.  Facebook managed to be uncool as well as untrustworthy.

PS, I'm not really the go-to person for advice on web safety, but here's a sound tip: always lie about your age.

Posted in: Comment, News and Updates