Farewell Erik Solheim; how you'll be missed by the airlines

Posted in: Comment, New Publications

I see from The Nation (essential reading) that Erik Solheim has resigned as executive director of UNEP.  What a great loss.

Solheim commented:

"On Saturday, I received the final report on the audit of official travel undertaken by the UN’s Office of Internal Oversight Services.  As I have maintained throughout this process – I have been and remain – committed to doing what I believe to be in the best interest of UN Environment and the mission we are here to achieve.  For this reason, after deep reflection and in close consultation with the Secretary-General, I am stepping down as Executive Director of UN Environment with effect from 22 November 2018.  Moments ago, with a heavy heart, I informed the Secretary-General of my decision.  He indicated that he will be shortly appointing an Officer in Charge of the Organisation."

Not his fault, then, that he and his senior colleagues (Managers A, B & C as the auditors described them) travelled zillions of miles spending quadrillions of dollars in the process.

The gruesome details are in the Nation report.  You have to wonder who was supposed to be keeping an eye on all this.

Posted in: Comment, New Publications