How did you get to Glasto, Sir David?

Posted in: Comment, News and Updates

I found myself wondering how David A got to Glastonbury the other night for his adulatory walk-on congratulating the massed throng for their restraint in not using too many plastic bottles – he wasn't quite right in saying that none had been brought in.

I hope he got there by train via Castle Cary and then by electric car to the site.  Surely he wasn't driven all the way, I thought.  I feel I know with some certainty that he didn't go by chopper, as many seem to have done.  The helicopter to G'bury business thrives as this extract from a recent Telegraph article shows:

How to get there comfortably, and how to leave quickly 
With up to 170,000 weary individuals being disgorged from the festival site on the last day of Glastonbury, interminable traffic jams make for a depressing end to an already exhausting few days. So for those with the means, chartering a helicopter and bypassing the roads below is a popular way of finishing off Glastonbury.

Helicopter access to Glastonbury is available through flyglastonbury.com, which operates a landing site about half a mile from the festival entrance. Its customers typically arrange the "Bristol Shuttle", which means parking in Bristol and flying from there. Return passage costs £960 per person. Atlas Helicopters can arrange transfers from any UK location, with flights from London taking 45 minutes and those from Leeds just 90 minutes, POA. From Brighton, a 60-minute helicopter transfer for two with HeliFly costs £1,878 each way.

I imagine that the Brighton shuffle has been very popular, but that's just my prejudice against the place – which Keith Waterhouse memorably described as a town that looked as if it was helping the police with their enquiries.

Posted in: Comment, News and Updates