Participating in environmental education conferences

Posted in: Comment, News and Updates

Researchers are conducting a survey about national and international participation in environmental education conferences, to examine what barriers to participation exist for environmental education society members.  I dutifully completed it, even though I've no intention of ever again flying to attend a conference to listen to people saying how important it is that we look after the environment.  In part this is because of the hypocrisy involved; in part it's because I now loathe the whole business of flying: the hideous airport experience, the pollution, the stress, the wear 'n' tear on the body.  I'd rather walk on the Wiltshire Downs while I still can.  Anyway, my personal carbon budget doesn't run to it.

It was just about worth completing the survey to see the contortions that researchers have to go through these days to get it through rent-seeking ethics committees.  There were 15 statements to read and acknowledge before I got anywhere near the survey itself.  Each one required me to click on a green YES button – or so I thought.  The statements / questions were:

1. Introduction

2. What is the purpose of the study?

3. What will I be asked to do?

4. What are the possible discomforts and risks in this study?

6. What are the possible benefits to society from this research?

7. Do I have to participate?

8. Will I be compensated for my participation?

9. Are there any costs to participate?

10. Who will know about my participation in this research study?

11. This project will collect non-identifying basic demographic data for classification purposes

12. Whom can I contact with questions about the research?

13. Whom can I contact about my rights as a research participant?

14. Please be sure you have read the above information, asked questions and received answers to your satisfaction. Your participation in this research project is VOLUNTARY, and that you may withdraw from participation at any time WITHOUT COST to yourself. Please copy this page if you want to keep this information.

*2. I have read the above information, I am 18 year of age or older, and I agree to the terms.

It turns out that the * meant that I had to click the box associated with this question in order to reach the survey, but that I need not have clicked the 14 other boxes.  My exasperation levels were pretty high at this point.

I struggled with the survey largely because I didn't spot the *s quietly embedded in some of the questions and so I got into a loop which I could not bring myself to think was entirely my fault.

And what about the survey?  Forgettable, I'd say.  There were lots of questions about barriers, of course, but there was no mention of flying as a potential problem for some people.  As such, it has a gloriously 1990s feel to it.  You ask: How did this not get spotted?  Beats me.

Posted in: Comment, News and Updates