Down and Out

Did you watch the final session of COP26 on TV?  Did you see the last few seconds ambush by India (and their Chinese pals)?  The trouble with carrying out skulduggery in public is that everyone can see.  All very unsubtle.  So we're officially phasing coal down and not out; so be it.  It's the same difference and the Indians know it: coal's days are numbered.  Even Australia must see it by now as it considers its stranded assets.

I've rather changed my mind about COPs.  Hitherto I've viewed them as slow and expensive circuses and thought there must be better ways of doing this.  Well, maybe there isn't.  The sight of representatives of small (island) states standing up to bullies I thought was rather inspiring.  The UK innovation of having side deals on international finance, coal, electric vehicles and deforestation seems to have been very effective; these could make progress because they did not need unanimity.  I read that these were the idea of Claire Perry O’Neill, the former climate minister, who had a dim view of UN processes, and said so once too often and was sacked.  She said that the Glasgow COP should focus on making progress in the real economy.  When Alok Sharma took over he kept her plans.  Because these real-world deals are in place important messages are sent about getting on with it.

So well done Sharma, Archie Young the UK’s chief negotiator, and the rest of the UK team.