Author: Tim Roberts, 3rd Year MEng Chemical Engineering -

The thought of spending some time abroad had always appealed to me so I was really happy to get the chance to study in Montreal. We arrived in the middle of winter, clambering over mounds of snow to get our bags in the door. I have to say I was a little apprehensive about living somewhere where temperatures below -10 C are normal. But you very quickly adapt to it and see that winter doesn’t stop things happening in Montreal.

Montreal is definitely the liveliest city I’ve ever visited. I chose to live in an area called ‘Le Plateau’, and I’d really recommend this as a place to live. The streets are filled with all kinds of shops, bars and restaurants and in the summer, some of the biggest streets turn into huge markets as the roads are closed to traffic. As it warms up and the snow clears, the main park in the centre of Montreal transforms into a luscious, green space and as a Montreal tradition, crowds gather there every Sunday to drink and play drums.

During the week I was at the university most days, working in the labs or the office. But that leaves more than enough time to do something pretty much every evening and weekend. Whilst it’s cold, you can go skiing outside Montreal pretty easily. The university organised a really good ski trip to a big chalet and at Easter we spent a weekend skiing at a beautiful place in the forest with some of the other interns at the university. Then later on, I got the chance to visit Toronto and Niagara Falls and am spending a couple of weeks road tripping around the Rockies before I come home.

I’ve had such a great time in Montreal, and with just two days left here, I’m so sad to be leaving. I’m so pleased I chose to do my research project abroad and I can’t recommend Montreal enough as a place to come. I’m already thinking about when I’m going to come back!

Posted in: Department of Chemical Engineering, Research Project