Parade Profile: Adebola Adedoyin (MSc International Development 2020)

Posted in: Humanities & Social Sciences, On campus, Parade profiles

Commonwealth scholar Adebola Adedoyin left Nigeria for the first time to come to Bath and study international development. She never expected a global pandemic to happen during her postgraduate degree, but having received support from her flatmates, the faculty and the wider university community, Adebola is still able to reflect fondly on her student experience. 

A smiling black woman with braids and a black-and-white blouse.Why did you choose to study at Bath?    

I chose the University of Bath because it offered an exceptional program in international development, which was aligned with my career goals. The University's reputation for academic excellence in this field, as well as its welcoming and inclusive environment, were crucial factors in my decision. 

Did you have a particular career in mind when you chose your course?   

Yes, when I chose my course, I knew I wanted to work in the field of international development. 

I was passionate about making a positive impact on global issues, such as poverty alleviation, sustainable development and social justice. I believed that the international development program at Bath would provide me with the knowledge and skills needed to pursue this career. 

Can you tell us about your experience of studying here? Any favourite memories, or places to go on campus and in the city?   

My experience of studying at Bath is one that I hold dear to my heart. As a Commonwealth scholar, I arrived in the city as an international student, and it was my first time travelling out of Nigeria. Bath welcomed me with open arms and eventually became a second home to me.  

Despite the challenges posed by the pandemic during my time at Bath, I received tremendous support from my flatmates, faculty and the university community. Some of my favourite memories involve the sense of camaraderie among my flatmates and classmates as we navigated through the difficulties of studying during a pandemic.  

Exploring the city of Bath was also a highlight for me, and I enjoyed taking leisurely walks in the city centre, visiting historic sites and savouring the local cuisine. 

What was your experience as an international student studying in the UK? Do you have any advice for others?   

As an international student studying in the UK, my experience was both enriching and transformative. It broadened my horizons, exposed me to diverse cultures and perspectives, and allowed me to build a global network of friends and colleagues.  

My advice to other international students is to be open-minded, embrace cultural differences, and to actively engage with both the local and international communities. Seek support from the University's international student services, and don't hesitate to reach out for help or guidance when needed. 

Describe your career journey since graduating.  

Since graduating, my career journey in international development has been fulfilling. A typical day in my previous role as Project Lead with DataKirk involves conducting research and analysis on development projects, collaborating with donors, funders, partners and stakeholders, and devising strategies to address international development challenges.  

What is a typical day like in your current role?    

I just relocated to Canada, and I currently work with EMCN, a settlement agency where we support newcomers, refugees and immigrants settle in Edmonton. I work with the Fund Development and External Relations team. 

It's a dynamic and rewarding career that allows me to apply the knowledge and skills I gained during my studies. 

How did your studies help you to develop?   

My studies at Bath played a pivotal role in my professional and personal development. The course provided me with a strong academic foundation in international development and equipped me with practical skills through group projects and coursework.  

What advice would you give to prospective students thinking about studying your course at Bath?   

To prospective students considering studying international development advise you to make the most of the resources and opportunities the university provides. Actively engage with your professors and peers, participate in extracurricular activities related to your field of study and consider undertaking a placement if available.  

Stay informed about current global issues, as international development is a continually evolving field. Lastly, utilise Careers for guidance on launching your career in this rewarding field. 

Network with fellow graduates on Bath Connection