Parade Profile: Shikha Vaswani (BSc Management with Marketing 2020)

Posted in: Parade profiles, School of Management

Shikha is an entrepreneur who founded Chic Studio, a marketing agency for events in the United Arab Emirates, including Wireless Festival and Hamilton. Originally from India, Shikha shares how her studies and placement year set her up for success.

Why did you choose to study at Bath?  

Bath was my first preference when applying to university. I had never been to the UK, but all my friends back home said that Bath was an extremely beautiful and welcoming city. Besides this, it was ranked number one for studying marketing in the UK when I was applying.

I also liked the fact that it offered a placement year and had links to many multinational corporations which would help me secure my placement.

Did you have a particular career in mind when you chose to study Management with Marketing?

I always knew I wanted to study business, and I liked that my course set the foundation of ‘business’ with many different subjects like accounting, operations and marketing.

However, I didn’t know if I was going to pursue marketing as a career when I started uni but as the years went by I found marketing to be really fun as a subject so I knew I would like to do something marketing related.

Can you tell us about your experience of studying here? Any favourite memories, or places to go on campus and in the city?

I loved my time at Bath. Right now, I live in Dubai which is so different and fast-paced compared to Bath. I fondly remember walking around the Royal Crescent at sunset and getting coffee with friends near the Abbey. I miss the calmness of Bath and just walking around the city, it’s so beautiful.

You were a student caller in one of our Telethon campaigns, fundraising for the Alumni Fund. Can you tell us about your experience?

Honestly before joining the Telethon, I didn’t know how much of an impact the alumni had on Bath. Many of the buildings at the University were made with monetary support from the alumni.

It was great to be with a group of people, calling alumni and learning about the scholarships Bath provides through the Alumni Fund. I became friends with some of the callers that were scholarship recipients.

Describe your career journey since graduating.  

I graduated during Covid-19 so to say graduating during that time was uncertain would be an understatement. Luckily, because I applied to firms early and had great experience from my placement year, I was able to land myself a job.

However, because of Covid restrictions and lockdown, I turned away from the job offer and moved to India to be with my family instead. I’m happy everything worked out the way it did because I am super proud and grateful of where I am today in my career.

I started my first e-commerce business focusing on mask acne and clean skincare, which was featured in Vogue and Cosmopolitan in 2021. A few years have passed since then, and I now live in Dubai and launched my second business in 2023.

I own an agency that handles the marketing for all major events here in the UAE, including the likes of Wireless Festival, Hamilton and the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards.

No two days are the same. I am growing my team so I oversee their work, help out with marketing strategy, manage existing client relations, and I am constantly on the search for new events in the region that we can help advertise.

How did your studies and industry placement help you to develop?

Looking back, I cannot stress enough how important my placement year was. You get to apply your studies to real world problems. Not many people have that opportunity at such a young age while still being at uni and having such a supportive environment. I am so happy I went to Bath and I look back at my memories so fondly.

During my second year of university, I led the marketing for the School of Management student association and in my final year I was a student representative for my class. I was very much involved, which helped me develop skills like multi-tasking and people management.

I also realised how important it was to take risks and believe in yourself throughout my time at Bath. Entrepreneurship is hard and I don’t think anyone can really teach you how to be a good entrepreneur, but you just need to be courageous, a risk-taker, and push past the urge of wanting to give up.

What advice would you give to prospective students thinking about studying your course at Bath?

I would say to not even think twice about it and just do it. The course is amazing. It gives you an all-round perspective of business and what it is made up of. Later on, you get to specialise more in marketing and look at real world case studies. This, coupled with the placement year gives you such a great opportunity to set yourself apart from other candidates applying for graduate roles. Good luck!

Read more Parade Profiles with Bath alumni