Receiving a Doctoral Recognition Award

Posted in: Awards, EngD

I am delighted to share that last week I received the wonderful news that I have been awarded a Doctoral Recognition Award 2020. The awards were designed to recognise doctoral students and staff members who make a positive contribution to the doctoral experience at the University of Bath. I received a 'Highly Commended' award and am honoured to display the above digital badge we have been sent to show this.

The full list of winners is available here. Congratulations to all other recipients of the awards, and thank you for all that you do!

Thank you also to everybody who took the time to nominate me for the Doctoral Recognition Awards; it is so wonderful to be recognised for my contributions. After the nominations had closed, nominees were asked to write a supporting statement to expand on the reasons for which they were nominated. Below, I have included an updated copy of my supporting statement in light of receiving my award.

My supporting statement

One of the things for which I am most proud to have been recognised is creating opportunities for other doctoral students to get together in a supportive setting. I know how important it is to learn from others in the same situation as yourself, which is why I am always pleased to pass on my knowledge, give advice, or just listen to somebody if they are having a bad day. Closely related to this is my role as student representative for CDE students, which, I believe, has been vital during the current pandemic. During meetings between CDE reps and administrative staff, I provided a sympathetic student voice advising staff that what we need is each other and that staff can have a positive impact on setting up events that achieve this. Although there are many helpful resources available, such as Student Services and the Doctoral College, sometimes you just need to have a good chat (or rant!) with someone who is going through it themselves.

I am also pleased to have been recognised for my role as co-chair on the Kaleidoscope committee. As postgraduate research (PGR) students we sit somewhere between student and staff member, and our particular needs and circumstances often go unrecognised. Earlier this year, I helped organise the Kaleidoscope Engagement Survey, which highlighted some important aspects of being LGBT+ at the university. Most notably, some staff members feel uncomfortable attending social events to which PGR students, with whom they might have a formal or academic connection, are also invited. However, I made the case that PGR students face a similar dilemma when joining the SU LGBT+ group for undergraduate and postgraduate students. As a result, we have started planning some staff only events but continue to organise staff and PGR events. As the PGR representative and co-chair of Kaleidoscope I feel like I bring a student voice to an otherwise staff-focused group.

For my blog, my hope is that someone benefits from reading about my experiences so I try to make it clear how I am developing as a doctoral student since starting my research project. I once received a message from another doctoral student whom I had met at a conference thanking me for being so candid in one post that described a particularly tough week. I make a point of sharing not only the good times, but also the bad times, because being a doctoral student is all about growth and development; acknowledging this is so important.

Receiving this award has given me a new perspective on what contributes to a good doctoral experience and I am encouraged to continue acting as an advocate and a friendly face for other doctoral students.

Posted in: Awards, EngD

• Congratulations Thomas - well deserved and well earned!