Making Progress with My Thesis

Posted in: CDE, EngD, Updates

It has come to the point where I now have just one week before my new course starts. It probably comes as no surprise that I have not met my self-imposed early deadline for submitting my thesis, since I haven’t shared any news about it! So, despite my planning ahead, there is set to be a period of crossover as I start my new course and finish up my EngD. This week is one of transition, and I wanted to post an update about my progress and plans for the coming weeks.

Over the last few months, I have had a lot on my plate and there were several reasons for needing more time to complete my thesis. These include finishing off data collection in July, moving home in August, and struggling to find the motivation to get down to writing, to name only a few. I have had to focus as much as possible on protecting my mental health, and have fallen out of step with updating my blog.

Four weeks ago I was very behind on writing my thesis and did not think it would be possible to get it finished. After putting together a 3-week action plan and making a concerted effort to stick to it, with lots of support from my supervisors, I now feel the end is in sight. I would say I am now about 90% of the way there, and my immediate goal is to get to a point where I can easily dip in and out of the document to make changes at convenient times, given my timetable is about to change significantly.

I still have one week before that happens, though. As well as making that final push for my thesis, I am taking the opportunity this week to mark the end of my time in Bath, including at the CDE and Designability.

Last night and today I had the chance to come along to the CDE's Summer School and see some of my peers and CDE staff. And on Thursday, I will attend my last ever Designability staff meeting online to say my good byes. It feels weird to say good bye when the last 18 months have been so strange anyway, but I am pleased to have been able to see my colleagues one last time. Although I will technically still have contact with everyone until I have submitted my thesis, it feels right to formally mark my transition to Occupational Therapy.

I need to make sure I make the most out of starting my new course, but I am confident I will be able to make up that final 10% on my thesis in the coming weeks. I will continue to post updates here when I can to mark any milestones. Who knows, perhaps my next blog post will even be entitled, "I've submitted!”?

Posted in: CDE, EngD, Updates