- 250g dried red lentils
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 1 tin of coconut milk
- 1 bag of spinach
- White rice
- From the store cupboard: seasoning, curry powder and chilli
- Fry the lentils in a tablespoon of oil add curry powder, add coconut milk, then refill the can with water and add and tin of tomatoes. (If un-chopped tomatoes are cheaper than just chop them yourself)
- Simmer for 15 mins with a pinch of salt (adding salt at the start of cooking means you will need less, and you get a better taste).
- Wash the spinach gently before cooking. Add the spinach and cook for another five minutes until the lentils are tender and the spinach is wilted.
- Adjust seasoning and consistency to your taste.
- For the rice, bring a medium pan of water to the boil. When cooking rice always measure one cup of rice to two cups water. Add the rice and stir for a few minutes, cover with a lid and cook on a low heat for 12 - 15 minutes.
Serving suggestion: Serve with nan bread or poppadoms and mango chutney.