Beyond Borders - My Initial Months at the University

Posted in: Digital life

It's been just over two months since I started working with the Digital team as a developer. In the past, I mostly worked as a freelancer for a variety of institutions. I was given new prospects, new challenges, and new growth opportunities when I took on this position. I consider myself both fortunate and honoured to have been given this opportunity.

“Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.”

― L. Frank Baum

Having spent all my life in Zambia, with very little travel beyond its borders, relocating to the UK brought a whirlwind of emotions: first excitement, then fear, followed by happiness, and finally, contentment.

The initial weeks on the job were rather nerve-wracking. I didn't want to feel as if I was taking too long to grasp how everything functioned and risk being caught in an endless onboarding loop. Conversely, I was wary of overlooking some crucial learning aspect that might hamper me later on.

Fortunately, some of my initial apprehensions vanished on the very first day. My colleagues were delightful, and the atmosphere was welcoming; it felt wonderful. In the ensuing weeks, I was gently integrated into the Digital team with patience, which was invaluable as it allowed me to methodically process and internalise the information.

“I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.”

― Jerome K. Jerome

After my onboarding phase concluded, I delved into some initial tasks. This included adding microcopy to parts of Typecase, our internal content management system, fixing bits of code, conducting reviews, and generally immersing myself by taking on as much responsibility as I could.

This journey of exploration and understanding hasn’t ceased. Periodically, I dedicate time to go through our various application codebases, aiming to grasp the intricacies of each application and understand how they interconnect. My learning curve remains steep, with frequent discoveries. The joy I get from coding keeps me perpetually eager to find new areas where I can contribute and make a difference.

“Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.”

― Søren Kierkegaard

So, what comes next for me in this ever-evolving journey? Honestly, I'm treading into somewhat uncharted territory, but that's what makes it thrilling. I'm filled with a combination of eagerness and anticipation, uncertain of the specifics but wholly optimistic about the adventures and challenges that await.

Since joining the team, even though it's been a relatively short period, my contributions have been multifaceted. I've delved deep into the codebases, tweaking and enhancing where necessary. Hosting my first sprint retro was an enlightening experience; there's something invigorating about reflecting on the progress, achievements, and areas of improvement with the entire team. I must admit, I've developed quite a fondness for these.

Beyond that, I have worked with various teams within Digital. One notable contribution was assisting with navigation research around campus, ensuring that both new and seasoned employees as well as students can find their way around with ease.

This is just the beginning. With each passing day, I aspire to deepen my understanding, broaden my horizons, and continue making meaningful contributions to the team and the university at large.

Posted in: Digital life

• Great blog Dan! It's great to have you on the team.

• Thanks Rebecca! I love it here, glad to be a part of the team.

• It has been great getting to know you Daniel through quick chats passing through the office! I am glad you found Bath so welcoming, and hope you continue to enjoy your time here. The local area has so much to offer, shout if you ever want tips on things to visit. Katrina