Thoughts on becoming a postgrad student and ambassador at Bath

Posted in: Department of Architecture & Civil Engineering, Postgraduate

Author: Ben Webber

My reasons for wanting to become a student ambassador is to share my university experience with others, in the hope that someone who shares my passions and interests can better inform themselves on what to expect from undertaking a degree in engineering.

When finding out information about Bath myself, I looked at the promotional videos of students describing their experience which I found very useful. During open days, there are a lot of questions that cannot be answered by lecturers, so hopefully being available to offer a relatable answer can persuade others that undertaking a degree at Bath is worth it.

After completing my undergraduate degree at a nearby university and during the Summer of 2022, I made the hard, however quick, decision to change my career aspirations to one of seeking a career in structural engineering. After reading the courses that Bath offer for Civil Engineering, I found the course was the perfect fit for me as every module was very focused on the topics that I am most passionate about. As a university, they are conscious of the environment which complements the focus of my degree through reducing carbon emissions and providing innovative solutions for the future.

During my time here so far, I have found a very comfortable place to study in the Postgraduate Commons in the 10 West building (it doesn’t take long to get used to the building layout). The library has a wide range of books in my field of study and the online library is a lot easier to use than my previous university. I also love EndNote, a referencing software that the university is subscribed to, as this makes my life so easy using citations.