The New Online Study: My Approach

Posted in: Designability, EngD, Planning, Studies

Last week, I mentioned that I will be planning an online study to answer some more detailed design questions about augmented reality prompts I have not yet considered. Rather than testing the ideas I have looked into already and then refining them further for and with people living with dementia, I will take the opportunity of remote working to develop a load of new ideas for new types of prompts, refine these ideas based on what I have learned from the literature, test them in an online survey, and then explore the 'best ones' from these along with the action prompts at a later date.

I have outlined my approach in the diagram below, which I have kept intentionally very simple. There is obviously more to think about within the 'Design Online Study' tile, for example, but as an overall structure, I think this will work well. Over the coming weeks I will share how each activity is coming along.

The approach I will take to the new online study

I have already written the design brief for the ideation session with some of my Designability colleagues. In the past, I have only explored prompts that encourage someone to perform an action, like pick up an object or open it, so I am looking forward to tapping into the creativity of the Design Team, who have very generously agreed to take part in a series of sketching sessions, to generate ideas for new types of prompt, such as encouraging someone to wait while tea brews, or warning that something is hot.

Tune in next time to find out how it goes!