Tuesday Ten: 10 questions we ask L & T experts

Posted in: Uncategorised

Dr Cassie Wilson is Associate Dean (Teaching & Learning) in the Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences, overseeing strategies for learning, teaching and student experience for undergraduate and postgraduate taught courses there. She is also Senior Lecturer in sport and exercise biomechanics in the Department for Health, with a research focus on the optimisation of athletic performance and understanding movement coordination. In 2004, she was awarded the New Investigator Award by the International Society of Biomechanics in Sport. At the Education Awards held in April this year, she was presented with the Leadership in Learning and Teaching Award 2018.

What can you see outside of the window?

Very little!  The inside of a study room in the library.

What does your average day at work involve?

It varies massively from day to day (which is what I love about my job!).  At this time of year there is a lot of marking, and at the moment, meetings about curriculum transformation are taking up a large amount of my time.

Why do you think teaching at your university is important?

The experience our students receive while with us can have a huge impact on them in many ways, and therefore we have a great responsibility to give them the best opportunity for them to fulfil their potential.

What do you hope the impact of your teaching will be?

It is very simple, I hope to inspire students and at the same time help them to develop into confident, well-rounded graduates.

Who has inspired you most in your teaching career?

Throughout my education and career to date there have been many individuals who have truly inspired me.

"I hope to inspire students and at the same time help them to develop into confident, well-rounded graduates."

When did a lecture go wrong and how did you overcome it?

There have been numerous occasions when things have gone wrong for me!  They have usually involved technology not working properly (although this has certainly not stopped me wanting to use it) – but students can be quite understanding and there is usually a work around.

Recommend a book, film or album from the past year.

Most of my film viewing these days is with my children and my favorite of the past year has been Paddington 2!

What is the biggest change that you've made to your teaching since you started your career?

When I first started lecturing in 2003, my teaching was very much about simply the time that I was standing up in front of the students.  Now with the use of virtual learning environments, lecture capture software and other resources, this just plays one part of the teaching experience for students.

What piece of advice would you give to someone just starting out in teaching at your university?

Go outside of your comfort zone and don’t be afraid to try something new.

What three things would you take to a desert island?

Tea bags, a kettle and an inflatable raft!

[Photo credit: Ashish Nagpal]

Posted in: Uncategorised